Crash attenuation protects drivers from hazards on and around the road. Every road is different: one might need a temporary barricade, while another needs a guard rail with an end treatment. It takes certain specialties, education, and know-how to put crash attenuators on the streets in the right way and the right setting.
We supply, install, repair, and maintain products from some of the industry’s top brands, including Vulcan and QuadGuard. We know what to use in every situation, and we can help you figure out what you need.
Types of Attenuators
- Re-directive: The vehicle will be redirected into the lane.
- Non-re-directive: The vehicle won’t be redirected into the lane.
- Gating: The vehicle won’t go through on impact.
- Non-gating: The vehicle will go through on impact.
All crash attenuation products are tested and approved at certain speeds.
- TL1: standard vehicles up to 50 km/h
- TL2: standard vehicles up to 70km/h
- TL3: standard and commercial vehicles up to 100 km/h
- TL4: standard and commercial vehicles at highway speeds
Barricades & Barriers
Barricades are solid-looking but light-duty objects that tell people not to pass through them. If a driver hits a barricade, the vehicle will go straight through. Barriers, on the other hand, are heavy duty and crash rated. They redirect traffic to keep workers and pedestrians safe in high-risk situations. If a driver hits a barrier, the vehicle will go off in a different direction. We carry a range of barricade and barrier brands like Vulcan, Glare Screen, Road Runner, and Yodock.
Work Zone Barriers
Work zone barriers are used during to keep vehicles from hitting solid objects or road workers. They provide a cushion in a collision. You can use concrete, water-filled, or Vulcan movable barriers to protect your work zone. These are temporary barriers, so they’re only installed for up to six months.
- Barrier Guard 800 Steel Barrier
- TL-1 Water Wall Barrier
- TL-2 Water Wall Cable Barrier
- TL-3 Sentry Barrier
- Lo-Pro Airport Barricade
Permanent barriers are installed on shoulders and medians to redirect vehicles in a collision. Most often you’ll see concrete, guard rail, and high-tension cable barriers. Because they’re intended to be permanent, these will last years before needing to be replaced.
- BG800 Median Barrier Gate System
- Gibraltar High Tension Cable Barrier
- CASS Cable Safety System
- W-Beam Guard Rail
- Thrie Beam Guard Rail
- Applicable Guard Rail Hardware & Transitions
Guard Rail End Treatments
When the blunt end of a rigid guard rail faces into traffic, it’s only a matter of time before someone hits it head-on. Guard rail end treatments attach to the end of the rail to protect the driver. Different end treatments work in different ways, but they’re all intended to keep the rail in place in a collision.
- Soft Stop
- FLEAT-350 Energy-Absorbing Terminal
- FLEAT-MT Energy-Absorbing Terminal
- SKT-350 Sequential Kinking Terminal
Impact attenuators are placed in front of concrete barriers, guard rails, bridge parapets, toll gates, and other roadside hazards. They’re designed to keep vehicles from passing through, which can save the driver’s life in a head-on collision. As with any other crash attenuation product, each impact attenuator works best in a specific situation.
- SMA Crash Cushion Systems
- SMA T4 End Terminals
- TRACC Crash Cushion Systems
- SLED Water Filled Temporary Crash Cushions
- Big Sandy Crash Barrels
Truck- & Trailer-Mounted Attenuators
TMAs are mounted behind large trucks or on specially designed trailers to protect vehicles and workers in temporary lane closures. If another drivers hits your vehicle, it won’t be damaged and it won’t crash into your workers.
Truck-mounted attenuators work best with heavier vehicles: the truck will roll forward when it’s hit, but the vehicle’s weight will reduce the distance. Trailer-mounted attenuators protect vehicles, which is ideal for contractors who don’t want to tie up a designated lane closure truck.
- Scorpion Truck Mounted Attenuators
- Scorpion Trailer Mounted Attenuators
- Verdegro Blade Truck Mounted Attenuator